Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Two Poems


Allusion, Illusion, Delusion

“The joke, which we seldom see, is on us;
For only true hearts know how little it matters
What the secret is they keep…”
   [ Auden, “Secrets”]


There sits, now, a thing on my heart,
a secret not so much protected as denied:
that there’s a loneliness I crave, I dread.
Not that I have wasted my life, the part
though never the whole, but pretended
too much to ever be happy in public, alone.

This trick never works:
where you’re convinced
that walls papered with
rejection do not repeat
the words: thankfailure
you failureopportunity
failurefailfailureagain.


It was always dying.
Not in the way we all are:
of the cancer silently growing or a heart that breaks
or an accident no prophet would have predicted,
but because it was built on (at best) wishful thinking
& for the worst on willful pretense.
    So it goes.







Three Lives

“A handsome child is a gift from God,
And a friend is a vein in the back of the hand,
And a wound is an inheritance from the wind.”

[Robert Bly, “Living at the End of Time”]


Two lives are livable,
the third destroys.

What home allows,
though crowded,
small, & full of ghosts,
is a degree of self
that cherishes
truthfulness.

The constant gift
of anticipation,
a child provides
a lesson in honesty:
constant
growth is not
sustainable
but its opposite
is anathema
to god & to man.


**

What a friend adds is beyond measurement,
but in absence, constricts, like hand to fist.

Not in anger clenching, but so much riding on
compliment, supplement, affirmation & faith
there’s bound to be a point a bubble bursts.

Pride, insecurity, delusion & doubt:
the sacred secrets shared in kind:

But illusion crumbles so sure as grandeur grows,
aloofness follows & then:   renewal, respite, & reprieve.

***

Standing alone in a loud corner,
the awkward happiness of others
smothers any hopefulness
of the possibilities of the third life.

Two lives are livable:
there’s here & there’s there.

The looming life,
lived somewhere between
slowly destroys itself,
its false promises of acceptance,
the suggestions of fame
disintegrate (without ghost).

Sometimes it’s clear:
it’s just time to go back home.

The first life thrives through the wound.

1 comment:

  1. This is one of my favorite opening stanzas in, well, a very long time. Every time I read it, it means more to me:

    There sits, now, a thing on my heart,
    a secret not so much protected as denied:
    that there’s a loneliness I crave, I dread.
    Not that I have wasted my life, the part
    though never the whole, but pretended
    too much to ever be happy in public, alone.

    And the melancholy of:

    Standing alone in a loud corner,
    the awkward happiness of others
    smothers any hopefulness
    of the possibilities of the third life.

    It's very easy for me to read this into my own recent struggles with what others have that I do not have, but someone else's happiness has no bearing on my own, no matter how much I want to believe otherwise. This is a lesson I am very slow in learning.

    They are both really strong, wcp.

    ReplyDelete