Wednesday, March 28, 2012

The Heart Does Not Turn to a Stone


“I have always wondered about the leftover 
energy, water rushing down a hill
long after the rains have stopped”
[Adrienne Rich (1929-2012), “For the Dead” 1972]


what we love persists,
a body once known remains,
hangs about,
                      like a veil of prophecy:
an open window moves the spirit
& all the bodies dance, voices sing
the sounds accumulate,
how moss  gathers,  
memory assimilates into a life.

if energy is conserved,
what happens to our vital potential
when the kinetic slumps, slows, & stops?

who’s to say that to die is to conform to friction,
might momentum simply be transferred?

(let us remain silent about ghosts.)

let the rain roll & the dark be broken
by the flash that reminds us:
night is not the end of blue,
only a temporary failure of vision.

what we love remains,
though bodies are removed
(as the rain steals the soil)
love softens all hearts
& nothing is taken
that is etched into cortex,
that settles like moss
on  the northernmost face
of a life well shared.

1 comment:

  1. Twenty years ago this fall, I was introduced to her work. In that time, a book of hers has always been within arm's reach. I can't yet figure out what she did for me, but I do know I always thought I'd meet her, and now I won't. We must not put these things off when it can be helped.

    This poem in incredible, wcp. I love every line, ever phrase.

    ReplyDelete