Thursday, February 23, 2012

Fragment 22


Sappho, Fragment 22, from
If Not, Winter (Anne Carson)

“The spirit moves, but not always upward…”
[Theodore Roethke, “Meditations of an Old Woman”]
a.

waking this morning, an arm would not work
sleep & weight had robbed it of its force
it only took minutes to return at the elbow, then the wrist
a look in the mirror showed:
sleep left heavy lines across my face

if not today, what is winter?
temperature falling through the afternoon,
wind nearly silent through thick glass,
no pain afflicts the body
but much is seen, in its waves

because I prayed for clarity
this word: patience
I want to feel you near me


b.

there is only so much one can stand: work
satisfies until it doesn’t.
which face will show this morning:

the one that is impatient? enthusiastic?
exasperated? content? if not winter, when
will the prizes arrive? certainly not spring.

No pain without desire.

Is this because I prayed for accolades?
I should have never heard this word: ποιϝέω.
I want to be silent.


c.

being here with you is never work
(always home)
I never fail to see us both in each face
(the three boys who won’t stay still)

we will stay close, if not, winter,
no pain can preserve us from time

because I prayed that they would grow,
this word: patience &
I want, I want, I want
them to slow down


d.

work stacks & family holds
this face knows all four seasons

(if the spirit moves)

what is premature spring if not winter?
there is no pain if no loss,
all is temporary anyway:

(if the spirit moves)

because I prayed for happiness
this word: expectation
I want & must endure the spin
of gain & loss & loss & gain

(if the spirit moves)

No comments:

Post a Comment