Saturday, August 27, 2011

Perspective

the world that spins us,
contains us, was before us,
& survives beyond us, 
moves faster than we suspect
when we’re flung & notice,
it’s easy to suppose the moving
is for us, alone, or our small collectives,
but  it does not spin for us

we think that what we know
is large enough to slow
a spinning sphere, but
in this system, pace is everything

while we, self-saturated,  shrink
 back to dust,  a universe expands
in ways imperceptible & doesn’t
have to pretend to know or not know

it is so easy to build a model of a world
revolving around us,
to feel the pull of gravitons
as they force others in & out of our lives

but ever so hard to realize that countless
other spinning particles have worlds
as precious, as tormented, as magnetized
as ours seems to be from our own ground zero

2 comments:

  1. I love this. It's the sort of poem I'd like to write. Is that high praise? I hope so. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Uh, I thought I was channeling you when I wrote it! You are too kind.

    ReplyDelete