Saturday, May 9, 2020

Temporary Pleasure

I enjoy writing poetry. I find pleasure in the struggle to follow a poetic idea to some tentative conclusion. I feel personally empowered while composing a poem that charts a course for some idea, some emotion, or some imagining. I am proud, though always anxious, to share a new poem, or a rare old one, with the people closest to me, but I have no confidence my poems will have much value outside of a handful of people who know and love me already. I am more than fine with this knowledge. 

I know and believe in the power of a poem to transport or even transform a reader. I have personally experienced this thousands of times, often daily, and many lucky times with my students and colleagues. But this is not the experience I expect from my poems and a larger audience. I lack something as a poet, probably many things, that keep my poetry from reaching a larger audience. I am an avid reader of poetry, and I understand the talent, intelligence, and wit it takes to be a poet. And I know the time, patience, and perseverance it takes to make even one great and lasting poem. It takes much more discipline and craft than I have to give to be a working and publishing poet. For now, I am satisfied with the temporary pleasure of the invention of a poem. I do not need more than this for my poetry, but I do have an urge to share, so I will go back out on this limb. I hope you find some temporary pleasure in it too.

No comments:

Post a Comment