Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Your Name Within Mine

Day 16





           


  


   for L.D.C.P.

All through your tiniest year,
I hummed Rachmaninov,
Rice, Beatles, & Stones
dancing circles around tables
all hours of the night to calm
the baby nerves of your gentle soul.
I read you Whitman, or rather
I read Whitman while you slept
in my lap or nearby as everything is
in our small home.

The piece of paper I was earning
still sits in its oversized envelope
in the basement,
while my real work
of that incredible year,
a small green notebook
sewn with orange thread,
sits on your bedroom shelf
a year’s worth of poems,
your first birthday present,
waiting the long years to be read.

Now, you study letters,
sounds, & words.
You make pictures,
build up stories,
draw gorgeous lies,
& practice your blue-eyed smile.
We cherish your sensitive heart
& hope you privilege your infinite mind.

Today may be the reminder
of the six years of your being,
in which hundreds of poems
have been sketched, dreamt & breathed,
but it is your daily life that
is the best of them all:
the continuous reminder
that your birth was an answer
to all that we’d lost.

2 comments: