Sunday, February 13, 2011

Son

a quiet cry, after
midnight, early sun-
day, that might have
been a dream or
discomfort, lonely-
ness or phantom pain,
I thought I should
have let ignoring settle.
forgive me my appear-
ing there without any
help to give but
fatherhood or lack of
sleep to match yours.
as it turns out,
it was thirst &
just one story:

when there is some-
one listening there is
always reason for cry-
ing out & when some-
one cries out there
is always reason for
rising & to go.

Is this not the
meaning of all
our music: cries
& listening? Thank
you, son, for song.

1 comment:

  1. Your poems about the boys always make me cry. If I'm not mistaken (though I generally am) this is not the first time you've thanked your sons in a poem. The notions of gratitude & wonder resonate strongly. Nicely done.

    ReplyDelete