Thursday, January 20, 2011

A January Notebook [2011]


1.4.2011

because it is winter & I’m tired:
the cold dark sky outside the window
of this moving vehicle
steals away all the light
& it seems that on the cold horizon
there is always a toothache
waiting to nestle in to a snug bed


1.10.2011

there is little that comforts
like waking to a white world
you did not expect but welcome.
a phone rings too early, waking,
& it’s not an emergency,
but the warning that says:
go ahead, stay home.
the little ones that remind you
that you are every age you’ve ever been
beg for the old fun that,
once a year, never gets too cold.


1.13.2011

the cold lingers as smoke
around citylight that bends
in hazy vertical bands.
there is a physics of cold
that will not suffer
the unprepared,
& those who know
know how to avoid it.


1.20.2011

the winter finches know
something I can’t figure.
somewhere the cardinal
waits for me to look for him.
that sparrow hawk,
the one that just headed east
across the embankment,
out of sight, is not out of mind.

there is so much of winter
that I don’t know what to do with,
but I am thankful for the companionship.
there is something about snow
& the company of birds
that takes some of the sting
out of winter’s slow days.*



*Note: I have to say that I always enjoy snow days. I like the snow; I love being home with my family. Today is a good day, and today is not one of those slow, winter days. But looking out the window at the snow, the birds (even though today is a great day) reminded me that winter always hurts--at some point it gets to be too much and we ache for spring. I'm not there yet, but these birds reminded me of the long, slow cold. Now, I am back to enjoying my day. Next order of business: Hot Wheels Criss Cross Crash!

1 comment:

  1. Favorites: The whole 1.13 poem, and Hot Wheels Criss Cross Crash! Awesome!

    ReplyDelete