Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Acorn, Axe

                          
Donald Hall, "The Flies" Old and New Poems
 1.

born young & growing,
slowly, aspiration wasn’t
something born into, sibling
rivalry fizzled at five & a half
years removed. I knew & took
what was entitled: expecting
a little shame for all the spoils.

youth offered several smiles
for every shed tear: sensitivity
was strong suit & weakness all
at once: there was no crying
at the breaking of a bone:
a tender heart shows no scars,
but there was something obvious
about the blue eyed stare &
Donald Hall, "The Bone Ring" Here at Eagle Pond
look away that made bluffing
too hard a sport for such a boy.

all of this is apropos of poems
that lie their way into being,
saying: only a minute, start here 
& end up there, once more with…
only to find the end of the page
is just more blankness—
unfilled with dashes,
dash off another one,
dash off little boy, little
boy, where are you?

2.

here, at the middle of my
three score & ten, there is
little sign of sure fame, no
fortune, no guarantee of
longevity. I chore through
what should be work &
tap out would-be poems,
willy-nilly, hand to mouth,
for fun & for spite.

there are enough
what-might-have-beens
to populate a thousand
self-portraits, a thousand
noisy poems balanced
& unbalanced between ephemeral
emotion & the gravity of real things.

but it is those real things that
make this making so appealing,
as they speak to you from
somewhere unknowable,
because unknown, these poems
do not attempt to say the unsayable,
that being above my poetic pay-grade,
but they do speak to me, as today:

a stand of oaks, in winter, made full
on the south side of town,
after fifty cold, tired miles,
a head of foggy hair, ridged in ice,
or, rather, what glowed like ice,
saying: there is more to this than
any season shows, but the heft of each
can only be collected one at a time,
like poems one by one by one by one.

these ghosts that populate a town
that comes before the town that grows
& grows speak to me because the
who I am now was there to notice them,
the years & days that led this man
to that point through ignorance to doubt
& between the heaves of ambition & delusion
have made me desire the end of desire more & more.

what is it about contentment that is willing to wait & wait?

3.

there is surely a day to come in which
the ghosts that speak will beckon more than poems,
bones that have already begun to ache
will creak like floorboards with heavy feet,
suggesting the steady sound of the slow axe.
what hope knows is that there is a tipping point
for time, this speeding cannot hold forever,
though I know my eventual slow coincides
with my sons’ accelerations, but I am far beyond
the need for the neatness of a single universe
or a unified theory of anything, let alone for dying.

this should not be the last word on the movement
from childish happiness to the foolish skepticism
of adulthood on the way to some small enlightenment:
may that road be tree-lined & full of prophesying ghosts,
may we gather acorns knowing all the while the swing of the axe.

[This is not quite ready yet, but I decided to put this draft out there. Not sure if or when I will revise. I suggest to those interested to look up the poet Donals Hall's prose works such as Eagle Pond. Reading (listening to) him helped this poem happen.]

1 comment:

  1. This. Is. Gorgeous.

    [pause for dramatic effect]

    I don't know where to begin, but the part that did to me that thing that good poems do...you know that thing...

    these ghosts that populate a town
    that comes before the town that grows
    & grows speak to me because the
    who I am now was there to notice them,
    the years & days that led this man
    to that point through ignorance to doubt
    & between the heaves of ambition & delusion
    have made me desire the end of desire more & more.

    what is it about contentment that is willing to wait & wait?

    There is some sort of pure truth there.

    And I always think you do well with this longer form. This is a poem to get lost in.

    ReplyDelete