Tuesday, May 25, 2010

A Two-fer

I.

The future is behind me...

The pulley season is mostly over, the moon is down too soon & the sun peeks up too early to push & pull one another into summer. It's a spring game they play to cut the cold and bring down the pounding rains.

Heading west from town, most often my family still snug in their beds (and if they aren't I stick around there way too long to watch the moon drop or sun leap), I get a view in my rearview mirror of the sun at its most orange, visible & still viewable with the naked eye as it rises up out of trees, or bluff, or in this case Highway 59.

It's funny to me that the sun rises at my back as I drive away. I am no hero riding off into the sunset but some silly pilgrim driving away from the sun & the ones I care about most. 

Today I stopped and took the picture. It isn't well composed (and neither is this description) but it chronicles one of the strange symbolic phenomena of being a commuter who notices things and is just silly enough to try and embed them with significance. It's kind of a curse.  

II.

Let's play three...

I've been sitting here grading final exams. My iPod has been playing background music. Mostly I haven't paid attention to it. However, three songs penetrated the single-minded concentration it takes to conquer the last days of grading. Here they are.

(I'm saving the best for last even though it played first.)

Enjoy:




Oh, it is worth saying that all three of these tunes were first played for me by the same fine person with an ear for great music: the one and only Jeff K.

Thanks, Jeff. Now I am going to drive home too fast listening to "Four Night Rider" over & over & over & over...

Here goes: [Settings: Repeat: One]

No comments:

Post a Comment