Thursday, April 15, 2010

The Triggering


I forget the names of towns without rivers.
A town needs a river to forgive the town.
Whatever river, whatever town –
it is much the same.
The cruel things I did I took to the river.
I begged the current: make me better.

The above lines comprise the opening stanza of Richard Hugo's poem "The Towns We Know and Leave Behind, The Rivers We Carry with Us" written for his dear friend and fellow poet and struggler James Wright.


Two years after publishing the above stanza (which was also the year of James Wright's death), Hugo published his conversational poetry manual: The Triggering Town; he defines the title in following paragraph:
In this case I imagined the town, but an imagined town is at least as real as an actual town. If it isn’t you may be in the wrong business. Our triggering subjects, like our words, come from obsessions we must submit to, whatever the social cost. It can be hard. It can be worse forty years from now if you feel you could have done it and didn’t. It is narcissistic, vain, egotistical, unrealistic, selfish, and hateful to assume emotional ownership of a town or a word. It is also essential.
We blogging poets or, in my case, poetasters know all too well this narcissistic obsession of following the triggers and getting the words and images, arriving like recurring dreams, down and dealt with. Here is a new poem (perhaps one day to better revised--I'd appreciate honest feedback) triggered by Hugo, my blogging friends, and mostly a recurring dream.


________________
The House


If I could smell in dreams (and whose to say that I cannot),
I imagine I would smell a river, train smoke, and fermenting barley.


A large plot is scattered with children's playthings:  trucks,
balls, a sandbox, and an aging but solid, metal swing-set painted green.


The grass, green & wet as mid-spring, gathers in neighborhoods
scattering the yard; clover & dandelion roads crisscross throughout.


But these I notice last, if you believe the waking imagination,
the thrust & grasp of memory after the dream's disappearing act.


It's the tall & wide, white house rising in the middle of the yard,
where the dream begins, inside, in any of a hundred rooms, all somehow familiar.


Always slightly different than the previous slumbering inhabitance,
once a vaguely yellow kitchen with nook and spiraling wooden staircase.


In another, a library of unmarked books, Victrola, console radio, miniatures hung upon the walls; an endless hallway's walls are perfectly spaced with black & white photographs:


Never a face I recognize, but each door, each room branching off has 
obvious inhabitants: brothers, sisters, roommates, friends but never mine.


I never make it to that room I'm searching for.  Stairways leading up, end back 
at the ground, steps turn to slides, secret passages open to whole new wings.


A green chair changes patterns in front of my eyes, a friend's suitcase packs itself and leaves.
A window opens, a breeze enters and a fraying feather floats in and I chase it through the house.


The house shrinks and I find myself on a patch of green looking back & forth between swings
and now the house sinks: a white window half in the ground takes the last bit of light down with it.


The dream ends before I decide what to do. Birdsong intervenes. 
My own house, small and less than quaint, lightens for morning.


Nothing is lost in dreaming, and yet a subtle haunting remains through the day.
Somewhere, a looming white house rises above a green yard and children's playthings.


There, in the half-light, another version of me considers the magnitude of making a move.

5 comments:

  1. Damn it, WCP. After having read this, several times, I feel that I've had this dream, too. Wonderful, concrete, specific images. It's beautiful & haunting. You're consistent with the punch at the end. This one ends perfectly. I'd give you feedback for revision, honestly, if I thought it could be improved. I don't, so I can't.

    As for Hugo, after you mentioned him on my page, I went downstairs, where my books are hidden, and pulled The Triggering Town off a shelf. I didn't know I owned it. The first half is filled with my marginalia, so I guess it was a text for a class. Oddly, it doesn't have a University Bookstore stamp on it. I can't for the life of me figure out why I have it or when I read it. So, clearly, it's time to read it again. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Friend, it is good to see this dream become verse. I remember you telling this one at lunch one day. As M said, it is solid, no suggestions. But, I do argue one point. You write:

    "Nothing is lost in dreaming..."

    I disagree. The very act of falling into dream, be it nightmare or fantasy or a Dali daydream on acid, we lose a previous concept or perception of reality. We lose a sense of what we thought the earth, our life, our others are or were.

    Hugo writes in The Triggering Town, "The imagination is a cynic. By that I mean that it can accomodate the most disparate elements with no regard for relative values. And it does this by assuming all things have equal value, which is a way of saying nothing has any value, which is cynicism" (15).

    ReplyDelete
  3. The images move from naturalistic (barley, river, dandelion) and childhood (playthings, train smoke--I have a hunch trains were a thing when you were a kid) to the concreteness of adulthood and domesticity (house, photographs, suitcase), and throughout it all the color green: renewal, rebirth, etc. Was this intentional--to suggest reinvention isn't relegated to children and nature but can be found in the grown world as well?

    The whole poem, for me, is in the line "The dream ends before I decide what to do." I believe we dream to spur ourselves into action. Whether night dream or day, what we see through that window makes it clearer to us what we should do in the "wide, white house" of our own lives.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Melissa: thanks! If you get the chance to read it again, I am positive you will see its failures, but thank you, thank you for your kindness.

    MPC: You might be right on the dream-loss...maybe "Nothing is permanent in dreaming..." And nice pick up on the Hugo!

    717: Yes, and yes. I was not intellectually aware of that structuring, but yes that makes perfect sense to me both in dream interpretation and in poetics--would that I was that deliberate! :)

    Thanks all!

    ReplyDelete
  5. In addition to agreeing with what's already been said, I think my favorite part is when things take that sudden turn toward the bizarre (starting at "stairways leading up...") but the descriptions of it are still stated quite plainly - that sums up dreams for me. Things are always completely insane, but in the dream they feel normal and unremarkable. That's a difficult feeling to evoke because its natural occurrence is completely outside our control.

    My only suggestion is related to the line that begins the bizarro section: "I never make it to that room I'm searching for." I don't know how, but that sense of urgency/direction could somehow be hinted at toward the beginning as well - the line made me go back and re-read the first section, thinking I had missed something that wasn't there. That could also just be me being dense.

    ReplyDelete