Tuesday, April 20, 2010

If

Frida KahloThe Dream, 1940
In dreams
begin
responsibilities,
then this
wakefulness
exhausts
like six days
on the road,
and sleep
settles only
the smallest
arguments
between
id & ego.

If what I am
is  product
(too)
of my own
unconsciousness,
then imagination
should weigh
down
as much as
it uplifts.
 Edward HopperBoy and Moon
If responsibility
wakes from
nightmare
as often as
dream,
then there is
a heroism
afterall
in this
waking fear
of failing
to protect.

If in dreams
begin
responsibilities,
then this
prayer before
bedtime
should be
as much
for memory
as forgiveness,
as forgetfulness,
as for going on.



1 comment:

  1. If what I am
    is product
    (too)
    of my own
    unconsciousness,
    then imagination
    should weigh
    down
    as much as
    it uplifts.

    Great stanza in a great poem! I really like this one. Something is going on with your writing, both poetry & prose, a bringing together, making connections, understanding larger implications. I don't know if this is intentional, or if it's just happening. Either way, I'm very glad to be along for the ride.

    ReplyDelete