Thursday, September 15, 2011

Everybody’s Friend

Brian at Inspiration Point, Grand Canyon N.P. 1997


“But, my brother, don’t let your lantern darken…”
     [Bryan John Appleby, “The Lake”]


This morning, driving south, out of
the hazy black of a once full moon,
the east sent up a glory of amber
orange, pink, purple, & finally all blue.

I thought of you, but you were already
there in my mind as the morning’s music
suggested struggle, pain, & yet tenacity, too,
the quality most evident behind your modesty.

Just as the universe holds together its parts,
& the wheels of my car handle the swift turns
of a morning’s commute, a magnetism pulls us
for our own good towards you for strength & stability.

There you are, everybody’s friend, holding us up
without raising a finger, but painfully curving
a grimace into an unaffected smile:  the brilliance
of generosity that gives & gives, never running out.

Tonight as I drive the same road back home,
arriving before that same sun sets in similar glory,
I’ll still be thinking of you there, family gathered close
hoping, somewhere, there is a light that never goes out.

I’ll save some last thoughts, as always, before sleep
comes & removes the day’s small sufferings & joys.
I’ll say to whomever might be listening that there
is a man, a brother, who helps hold a world together.

I’ll say: his love needs some more time to give.

1 comment:

  1. Bill, I was/am listening. I already knew this but could not have put it into words like this. Amazed by his seemingly effortless effect on so many.

    It's up to us to give his love more time.

    JDB

    ReplyDelete