Sunday, June 12, 2011

Dispatch 09: Of the Bay

I am not a lover of the big city, I prefer the tuckaway town, the hamlet, the burg of limited horses, but there are a few that get me at first glance, grab a hold of me somewhere deep, twang the strings a bit, elevate the blood pressure & settle in for a long relationship.

I remember this feeling years ago in a city that might not have been, the city below the waters, that exhilarated me with its smells, tastes & tendencies for debauchery. I was young & I was hooked. I have been back, an older man & loved it for better reasons, though some remained the same.

But that was a Southern city steeped in a beautiful & troubled past. This one is just as unique & nearly as varied. Its hills torment & thrill, its winds refresh & chill to the bone. It offers scent & sound & even its gimmicks deliver. It too is a city that might have been better left alone, placed somewhere less treacherous, but like its bayou counterpart, I am ever thankful for its dangerous beauty.

It has it's hold on me; I will see what it has to say, this hanging town nestled in its bay.

No comments:

Post a Comment