Thursday, November 25, 2010

Day 25: Thanksgiving

Break Something Beautiful

I had no intention of killing
that Thursday morning
pulling my way along a familiar track
toward the day.
It wasn't that I wasn't watching,
but there he was: too much urge
pushing into the middle of my way.
The look in his big black eyes
as time paused said:
It's everyones's fault.
No acrobatics could save us this time.

A month of unpredictable days later,
we belly up to celebrate errant gunfire
that brought an unlikely crew together,
the best of which brought venison, whitefish
& hope to a colony's future sprawl.
When all this wealth of food & family arrived today,
after much labor & love,
I could only hope that some Jefferson County table
boasted the windfall of that something beautiful
that my need for speed broke.


(In order to get this in today, it is unedited & typed on the tiny iPhone keyboard, I will revisit when I return home.)

No comments:

Post a Comment