Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Hopefulness or Irony?

                                 [Fire-Sale, August 2009]



Hard times. Times have been hard for this particular location, just a couple miles from town in Atchison County, for years.

A beer hall, a dance hall (exotic), and finally a used car dealership that succumbed to the inevitable fire.

What was once a prairie went tall grass again, and a euro-schooner sinks beneath the still-green waves.

"We Finance" the harbinger of hard times we should have known we couldn't rely on.

How we react to this oracle says more about us than it does about the nature of disaster: hang on hope or laugh at the irony?

Perhaps we can manage both?

1 comment:

  1. I carry a camera with me in my car often during the commuting season. I try to stop and shoot a few pictures when I see something that is interesting. I took this image in August of 2009. The building had burned some time before, but I had wanted to shot the picture and finally stopped to do it. Now, the grass has been cut down, the car is still there, the building is still in this shape, but it appears to be "back in business."

    ReplyDelete